Saturday, April 10, 2010

Wavy Curly Crimpy Do'

Hi Friends,

I just thought that I would share something new with you all.  I have been naptural for a little over 8 years (I think, my memory isn't what it used to be), my last relaxer was two days before my sister Brains graduated from UNC. GO HEELS!  

Many people ask what made me decide to go naptural (combo of nappy and natural), I just got tired of the chemicals, my hair was never long and it didn't feel healthy.  I was okay with my hair not having any real length (just to my jawbone) but it really drove me nuts that it wasn't healthy.  I spent hours in the beauty salon, only to have to worry about not sweating my relaxer out, not getting my hair wet, and pretty much just limiting my activities based on my hair.  Which let me tell you if you don't already know, sucks! 

Gouda has always been naptural, she is almost 12 years old and in just the past couple of weeks, have I let her flat iron her hair.  She has a beautiful thick head of hair, almost enough for two more people.  Which is sad for me since I HATE doing hair, but on the flip side of this my baby sister doesn't mind and has been taking care of it for me!  Thank goodness for her!

There I go rambling again, back to the topic at hand.

I grew my relaxer out for about 2 years, I just couldn't bring myself to do the big chop, so I wore braids and kinky twists for 2 years.  My braider is fantastic, and I love her to pieces (she does Gouda's hair now).  During those 2 years I did a lot of research and I decided on dreadlocks, dreads, locks, locs.  I have never regretted this decision, I love my locks.  I have had locks for about 6 years.  I have just come to the point in growing my locks, that I have to decide on a length.  My hair is to the middle of my back, which can make things difficult.  Eating, brushing my teeth, and turning my head suddenly have all become a challenge.  I was thinking about maybe taking 2 inches off, but I haven't made up my mind yet. 

Since I was doing all this thinking about the length, I hardly ever never think about my hair aside from washing and re-twisting, I began to really fall in love with my hair all over again, so I decided to do a style I haven't worn in about a year.  I braided my hair, which took a lot longer than it did a year ago and I banded it with some pretty cute bands if I do say so myself (Read I looked crazy).  The end result is kind of a wavy, curly crimpy do.

Isn't this look attractive? NOT! Can you believe that I actually left the house like this? 
It was my turn to do dinner.  Gouda and I ran out to Subway to get sandwiches.  Oh yeah 
my hair is not this scalpy, also not a good look.


The end result.  Gouda was the creative director for this photo.  
She wanted to show the length with this pic.


A more natural pic, so that you can see the crinkles.  If I had braided my hair earlier 
in the day and left the braids in longer, it would be more wavy, curly, crimpy.  One day 
I may get up the stamina to roll my hair on rods.


Musings Happen,

JennyKaye


2 comments:

  1. I thought I commented, must didn't go through.

    I love your locks, they are the perfect size. Wow!! they are really long. I'm sure they are feeling heavy. I know for me during summertime locks are so hot, they feel like a sweater has been draped on your head. lol!! Cutting off a few inches won't hurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn I wanted to let you know you have been tagged:)


    http://nailsbeautiqued.blogspot.com/2010/04/tag-sunshine-award.html#comments

    ReplyDelete